Prep and cook time: 30 min. Servings: 4 (1½ c. salad)
- ¼ c. medium-grind bulgur wheat*
- ½ c. shelled peas, fresh or frozen
- 15.5 oz. can reduced-sodium black beans,
drained and rinsed
- 2 med. fennel heads, halved, then cut into thin
- ¼ c. fennel fronds, finely chopped
- 3 T. fresh lemon juice
- 2 T. olive oil
- ½ bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves chopped
- ¼ t. salt
- Cover the bulgur with ½ c. boiling water. Set aside for 20 min., off the heat, to hydrate and become tender.
- Place the peas in a skillet and add ½ c. water. Bring to a simmer and cook until peas are bright green, about 3–5 min.
- Put the beans and fennel moons in a bowl, and toss with the lemon juice.
- When the bulgur is tender, all the water should be absorbed. Pour or squeeze off any that remains. Add bulgur to the bowl and combine with the rest of the ingredients, tossing well to distribute the oil and lemon juice.
*Bulgur is wheat that has been dried, cracked and steamed, so it cooks very quickly. It comes in three different sizes—small, medium and coarse grind. Bulgur can be found in most supermarkets near the rice.
Per serving: 281 calories (61 from fat), 8 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 213 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrates, 14 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 11 g protein.
Exchanges :2 starch, ½ vegetable, 1½ protein, 1½ fat.
VEGAN recipes are prepared without any animal products
including fats, milk or eggs. Check the label on each ingredient
to make sure the brand you are using does not contain
All exchange values are approximate.
When an optional or additional ingredient
is offered, exchange values
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!