Ten Fresh Starts for Fall
Just because there is a nip in the air doesn’t mean you should go into hibernation mode! Embrace the season with these fresh ideas.
- Savor seasonal produce. Autumn is the perfect time to find fun recipes that feature beets, celery root, rutabaga and more.
- With the change in the season comes a change in the family schedule. Schedule in “mini-workouts” of 10 or 15 minutes of physical activity to keep you on track while you adjust.
- Clean out those cupboards! You’ve heard of spring cleaning—here’s your six-month reminder to restock pantry items that support your healthy eating habits.
- Get creative at an apple orchard or pumpkin patch. Stretching to pick fruit, squatting to grab a gourd, or strolling alongside a hayride (instead of hopping on), all contribute to better fitness.
- Take advantage of the time change and power down a little earlier with a good book or a luxurious bubble bath ... Or, combine the two!
- Go for a bike ride. The air is fresh and cool, and the leaves are changing. Because it’s not as hot, you might find yourself logging more mileage than in the summer months.
- Spice it up! Add a cinnamon stick to some apple cider, cloves to pumpkin bread or nutmeg with baked squash.
- Reimagine a fall chore as a great source of exercise. Aside from the benefits of being out in the crisp, fresh air, raking leaves works your muscles and burns calories, too!
- Get a holiday head start. Before you know it, it’ll be New Year’s, and you’ll be pulling those snazzy clothes out of the closet. Set a goal for the next few months to fit into them better!
- Conquer a corn maze. Make a game out of it, and see who can get to the end faster—or take a nice stroll in and around the maze.