The TOPS 10 Ways to Regroup After a Setback
At times as you work toward reaching your goal weight, you may get discouraged and feel like giving up, especially if you have a gain. On those days, give these tips a try:
- Remember how far you’ve come. Pull out an old photo and consider: “What was I doing and how was I feeling at this time last year?”
- Talk to someone who motivates you – a cheerleader in your life, like a friend, parent, sibling or mentor.
- Forgive yourself for a bad day and move on. Tomorrow is a new day and another chance to get back on track.
- Do something you love. What cheers you up – cooking, playing with your pet, or immersing yourself in a good book, for example?
- Move. Exercise boosts your mood. Even simply walking your dog around the neighborhood can make you feel better.
- Laugh. Play your go-to sitcom or head to the theater to see the latest funny film and get your mind off your day.
- Pause to think about your triumphs. How much weight have you already lost? Do your clothes feel looser? Have you been eating more fruits and vegetables?
- Put things in perspective and help someone in need. Give your time toward a worthy cause.
- Return to what inspires you – your favorite songs, quotes or poems. Let them motivate you to stay the course.
- Imagine your life after you achieve your weight-loss goal. What are you doing? How do you feel?