Prep and cook time: 50 min. Servings: 4 (¾ c. butternut squash with ¾ c. quinoa and
1 T. sauce)
- 1 c. packed (about 1 bunch) cilantro leaves and tender stems
- ½ c. packed (about ½ bunch) flat-leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 1 t. paprika
- 1 t. ground cumin
- pinch red pepper flakes
- ¼ t. salt
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 T. water
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 c. quinoa
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a food processor, blend together the cilantro, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, paprika, cumin, pepper flakes and salt. Blend until a thick green puree starts to form.
- With the processor running, pour the olive oil and water in slowly to make a well-blended sauce. If the sauce is too thick (it should be like a very heavy salad dressing), stir in a spoonful or two more of water. Then, set the finished chermoula (sauce) aside.
- Peel the butternut squash and cut it into ¾-in. “steaks,” discarding the seeds. Rub the squash with ¼ c. of chermoula. Lay the squash on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Roast squash until tender and golden brown, about 30 min.
- While the squash is roasting, prepare the quinoa according to package directions.
- To serve, place the quinoa on a platter and layer the squash slices over it. Garnish with a few spoonfuls of the chermoula and, if desired, some pomegranate seeds, and cilantro or parsley leaves.
Per serving: 287 calories (85 from fat), 10 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 159 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 8 g protein.
Exchanges: 2½ starch, 1 vegetable, 1 protein, 2 fat.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. VEGAN recipes are prepared without any animal products including fats, milk or eggs. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these items in any form.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!