Prep and cook time: 45 min. Servings: 4 (2 oz. pasta with ¾ c. shrimp & pesto mix per person)
- 1 c. fresh spinach leaves
- 2 c. fresh basil leaves
- 6 T. pine nuts
- juice of ½ med. lemon
- ¼ t. salt
- ½ t. ground black pepper
- 1 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 ½ T. extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 8 oz. penne pasta
- 1 lb. large (31/35 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 c. fresh green beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 c. grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Make the pesto sauce by combining spinach, basil, pine nuts, lemon juice, salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, garlic and 1 T. olive oil in food processor. Blend until smooth. Chill in fridge.
- Cook penne pasta according to directions. Rinse and cool.
- In a saucepan, heat remaining oil and saute shrimp for 1–2 min. on each side until done. Set shrimp aside.
- In the same saucepan, saute green beans and tomatoes together. Add pepper to taste.
- Mix shrimp, vegetables and pesto evenly together.
- Divide pasta into 4 bowls. Add shrimp and pesto mix on top of pasta. Serve.
Per serving: 294 calories (115 from fat), 16 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 232 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 7 g protein.
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 protein, 3 fat.