Prep and cook time: 20 min. Servings: 2 (1 “burger” per person)
- 1 small onion, sliced into thick rings
- 4 small portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
- cooking spray
- 1 T. Dijon mustard
- 2 thick tomato slices
- pinch salt
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 6 slices dill pickle
- Prepare your grill.
- For security, lay onion slices flat and insert a toothpick or bamboo skewer into the center of each one to hold all of the rings together. For extra security, slide a second skewer opposite the first one.
- Spray the mushrooms and onions with cooking spray and lay them on the grill. Let them cook for about 4 min. per side. Move the vegetables to the cooler side of the grill and let them continue to cook until tender, about 5 min. more.
- Build your “burgers” by spreading the inside of the mushroom caps with a little Dijon mustard. Then top them with the grilled onions (remove the skewers first), a tomato slice (season with a pinch of salt), lettuce and pickles. Top with a second mushroom cap. Enjoy!
Per serving: 71 calories (0 from fat), 0 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 291 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 7 g protein.
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 protein, 1 other carbs, 1 free.
For simplicity’s sake, count
other carbohydrates (other carbs) as starches.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. VEGAN recipes are prepared without any animal products including fats, milk or eggs. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these items in any form.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!