Prep and cook time: 60 min. Servings: 6 (1 burger)
- 2 c. water
- 3/4 c. dried lentils
- 1/2 t. salt
- cooking spray
- 1 c. onions, diced
- 1/2 c. carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 c. mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 1⁄3 c. whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 T. lemon juice
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 T. canola oil
- Combine water, lentils and salt in medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 min. Drain; set aside.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and garlic and saute for 3 min. Add mushrooms and pepper and cook for an additional 5 min.
- Place vegetable mixture in a large bowl; let stand 5 min. Add cooked lentils, breadcrumbs, lemon juice and egg whites. Stir to combine. Cover and place in refrigerator for 30 min.
- Divide the lentil mixture into 6 equal portions. Shape each portion into ½-in.-thick patties.
- Heat canola oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add lentil patties and cook for 5 min. on each side.
Per serving: 150 calories (27 from fat), 3 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 250 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrates, 8 g fiber, 4 g sugar, 9 g protein.
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1½ protein.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!