Prep and cook time: 20 min. Servings: 2 (serving size = 1 c.)
- cooking spray
- 2 c. jicama, peeled and grated with the large holes on a box grater
- 2 T. onion, grated
- ½ c. fat-free sour cream
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ t. ground pepper
- 1 T. flat-leaf parsley, minced
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- ¼ c. (about 2 oz.) grated light sharp cheddar
- Preheat broiler. Spray two 6-8 oz. baking dishes with cooking spray, and set aside.
- Spread the jicama out on a microwave-safe plate. Spray with cooking spray. Microwave at high power for 5 min., or until the shreds of jicama start to soften.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the jicama, grated onion, sour cream, salt, pepper, parsley and cayenne pepper, if using. Spoon mixture into baking dishes, dividing equally. Sprinkle each dish with 2 T. cheddar.
- Broil for 3-5 min., until top is bubbling and golden.
Per serving: 145 calories (17 from fat), 2 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 356 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 10 g protein.
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 milk, 1 vegetable, 1 protein, ½ fat.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. A note that while gluten-free ingredients are listed in the recipe, not all packaged versions of these foods are gluten-free. If you are concerned about gluten, always check the label prior to purchasing.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!