Prep and cook time: 25 min. Servings: 2 (serving size = 1 c. stroganoff over ½ c. quinoa)
- 4 oz. extra firm tofu
- Cooking spray
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- ½ t. salt
- 1 c. unsweetened almond milk
- 1 T. cornstarch
- ¼ t. ground pepper
- 1 c. cooked quinoa
- 1 t. dill, chopped
- Cut the tofu into ¾ -in. cubes. Lay the cubes on a paper towel and set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray, and then add mushrooms. Without stirring, let the mushrooms cook until they start to brown, about 5 min. Add the shallots to the mushrooms, and sprinkle with salt. Let cook, without stirring, for another 3 min.
- Whisk the almond milk and cornstarch together in a small bowl.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and pour the almond milk mixture over the mushrooms, stirring to combine. Add the tofu to the pan, and stir gently to coat with sauce. The sauce will thicken as it cooks. If it gets too thick, stir in a few tablespoons of water to loosen it back up. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Spoon the sauce over a bed of quinoa and garnish with chopped dill.
Per serving: 223 calories (22 from fat), 4 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 457 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 14 g sugar, 13 g protein. Exchanges: 2 starch, ½ milk, ½ vegetable, 2 protein, 1 fat.
VEGAN recipes are prepared without any animal products including fats, milk or eggs. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these items in any form.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. A note that while gluten-free ingredients are listed in the recipes, not all packaged versions of these foods are gluten-free. If you are concerned about gluten, always check the label prior to purchasing.
HIGH-SODIUM recipes include more sodium than our usual recommendations. You may want to reduce your sodium consumption throughout the rest of the day to balance your intake.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!