Prep and cook time: 30 min. Servings: 2
- ½ c. flour
- ½ t. baking powder
- ¼ t. ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- ½ c. pureed butternut squash, thawed if frozen
- 4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
- ½ c. pearl onions, thawed if frozen
- ½ c. carrots, chopped
- 2 c. fresh spinach
- Make the dumpling batter by combining the flour, baking powder, pepper, salt and squash in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, bring the broth to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the chicken, onions and carrots to the pan. Using a teaspoon, drop spoonfuls of batter into the broth. Cover the skillet, and let the chicken and dumplings poach for 15 min.
- Uncover the skillet and gently stir in the spinach, trying not to break up the dumplings. Spoon into soup bowls and serve.
Per serving: 332 calories (45 from fat), 5 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 472 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 32 g protein.
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 5 protein, 1 fat.