Prep and cook time: 30 min. Servings: 2 (1½ c. salad with 3 T. dressing)
- 3 med. carrots
- 2 t. vegetable oil
- 2 T. tahini
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 T. water
- pinch garlic powder
- ¼ t. salt
- ¼ t. ground pepper
- 1 T. chives, minced (or 1½ t. dried)
- 2 c. baby kale, or kale leaves, torn
- 2 T. sunflower seeds, shelled
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Cut the carrots the long way into quarters. Then cut them crosswise to make sticks about 2½ in. long. Place on a baking sheet, and toss well with vegetable oil.
- Roast carrots for 15 min., until starting to brown along the edges.
- While the carrots are roasting, make the dressing. Whisk the tahini and the lemon juice together. The mixture will thicken up—whisk in the water to loosen it to dressing consistency. Add a little more water if the dressing is still too thick. Whisk in garlic powder, salt, pepper and chives.
- When carrots are finished roasting, combine them with the kale and sunflower seeds in a medium bowl. Toss with the dressing and serve.
Per serving: 233 calories (128 from fat), 16 g total fat (3 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 178 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrates, 6 g fiber, 5 g sugar, 7 g protein.
Exchanges: ½ starch, 2 vegetable, 1 protein, 3 fat.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. VEGAN recipes are prepared without any animal products including fats, milk or eggs. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these items in any form.