Prep time: 20 min. Cook time: 15 min. Servings: 4 (2 tacos with doubled corn tortillas—for each taco—and 1/2 c. filling per person)
- 4 c. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into ¾-
to 1-in. cubes
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 c. carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 4 t. low-sodium tamari
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T. fresh ginger, grated
- 2 t. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 t. crushed red pepper
- 4 c. kale, chopped
- 16 (6-in.) corn tortillas
- Combine the squash and ¼ c. water in a 12-in.
nonstick skillet. Bring to a simmer over medium-high
heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer,
covered, for 6–8 min.
- Stir in the mushrooms and carrots. Simmer,
covered, for 5 min. more.
- Combine the cornstarch, tamari, garlic, ginger, rice
vinegar and crushed red pepper in a small bowl. Stir
in ¼ c. water.
- Add the tamari mixture and kale to the vegetables
in the skillet. Cook for 1 min., stirring occasionally and
adding ¼ to ½ c. water to reach a thinner consistency,
- Spoon the skillet mixture onto doubled tortillas.
Per serving: 534 calories (30 from fat), 3 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, *403 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrates, 12 g fiber, 7 g sugar, 34 g protein. Exchanges: 3 starch, 1½ vegetable, 4 protein, 1 fat, 1 other carbs.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. VEGAN recipes are prepared without any animal products including fats, milk or eggs. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these items in any form.
* Because this meal includes more sodium than our usual recommendations, you should balance out your salt consumption throughout the rest of the day.
For simplicity’s sake, count other carbohydrates (other carbs) as starches.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!