Prep time: 20 min. Cook time: 30 min. Servings: 10 (¼ c)
- 15 oz can cooked black beans
- (about 1 ½ c. cooked beans)
- 1 T. lime juice (½ lime, juiced)
- 1 T. cumin
- 1 T. salt
- 2 sweet potatoes, rinsed and diced
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 t. paprika
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ c. diced tomatoes (optional)
- Rinse and strain the black beans, then add to a bowl with the lime juice, cumin and half of the salt. Stir well, set aside.
- Dice the sweet potatoes into small cubes. (Skin can be left on or removed.)
- Put sweet potatoes onto a baking sheet. Add the oil, cumin, paprika and the rest of the salt. Coat evenly, then place in a single layer on a tray before sliding into the oven to bake for 15 min.
- Once that cook time is complete, take the tray out of the oven. Mix black beans and the sweet potatoes together before putting back in the oven for an additional 10 min.
- Remove from oven, put in large serving bowl. Add diced tomatoes, if using.
- Serve with tortilla chips, romaine lettuce, spinach or a mixed greens blend.
Per Serving: 82 calories (27 from fat), 3 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 618 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 3 g protein.
Exchanges: 1 starch, ½ fat, ½ protein
VEGAN recipes are prepared without any animal products including fats, milk or eggs. Check the label on each ingredient to make sure the brand you are using does not contain these items in any form.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. A note that while gluten-free ingredients are listed in the recipes, not all packaged versions of these foods are gluten-free. If you are concerned about gluten, always check the label prior to purchasing.
HIGH-SODIUM recipes include more sodium than our usual recommendations. You may want to reduce your sodium consumption throughout the rest of the day to balance your intake.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!