Prep and cook time: 20 min. Servings: 2 (serving size = 1½ c.)
- 3 med. zucchini
- 2 slices lower-sodium bacon, cut into thin strips
- 1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ t. salt
- ½ c. fat-free sour cream
- 1 T. water
- 1 t. black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- Cut the stem and tip off the zucchini. Use a vegetable peeler to cut long, thin strips of zucchini. Continue until you reach the seed core, rotating the zucchini a quarter turn, and peeling and turning until you’re left with just the core. Repeat with the other two zucchini. Finely chop the seed cores, and place them with the zoodles.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon and onion until the bacon is crisp. Drain off any fat left in the pan. Stir in the zoodles and salt, and cook, stirring gently, until they are warmed through and starting to soften, about 3-5 min. Stir in the sour cream, water, pepper and red pepper flakes, if using, to make a light sauce.
Per serving: 150 calories (25 from fat), 3 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 243 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrates, 4g fiber, 6 g sugar, 8 g protein. Exchanges: ½ milk, 1½ vegetable, 1 protein, ½ fat.
GLUTEN-FREE recipes are prepared without any wheat, barley, rye or triticale. A note that while gluten-free ingredients are listed in the recipe, not all packaged versions of these foods are gluten-free. If you are concerned about gluten, always check the label prior to purchasing.
All exchange values are approximate. When an optional or additional ingredient is offered, exchange values may change.
Previous Recipes of the Month
Members can access all of our great recipes, including our previous Recipes of the Month, by logging onto our members' area recipe page.
Want all of our great recipes? Become a member!